Furness railway, a major operator of commuter trains, says it has “zero tolerance” for train-ticket holders who leave escalators “stuck” and will be banned from the trains in question.
The train operator is also asking all train operators to provide “safe and efficient” escalator access for its passengers.
The idea, first raised by former transport minister David Blunkett, is to give train passengers more control over the behaviour of their carriage.
The minister’s comments sparked criticism from a number of commentators and train operators, with some saying that the minister was “overly emotional” and that he was “making an impulsive decision”.
But Mr Blunkitt told the ABC on Monday that “this is not a decision I am making lightly, it is a decision that I am taking to protect the health and safety of passengers and train employees”.
Mr Bludtt’s comments provoked a lot of criticism on social media, with the hashtag FurnessRailway trending on Twitter, and with many of the comments calling for his resignation.
The department of health says it does not comment on individual cases.
Transport minister David Triggs said on Monday the “train operators are all doing their best to ensure that escalators are safe for passengers”.
He said that train operators were “responsible for the safety and health of their staff” and said it was a matter for them to take “appropriate action”.
He urged train operators “to work together” to address the problem.
“I would ask the railway companies, the railway operators to work together to address this issue.” “
In a statement, Furness Railways said it had been contacted by the minister, who “is very passionate about the safety issue of escalators”. “
I would ask the railway companies, the railway operators to work together to address this issue.”
In a statement, Furness Railways said it had been contacted by the minister, who “is very passionate about the safety issue of escalators”.
It said: “We are fully committed to improving safety on our trains and ensuring that escalator safety is improved as a result of this.”
Transport Minister David Trigg says he will be visiting a number train operators on Monday.
But he did not respond to a question about the minister’s response to the escalators incident.
He told the broadcaster: “It’s up to the train operators themselves to decide whether they will be able to keep operating.”