The Last Transcontinental Railroad was the first train to leave Melbourne in 1876.
It was one of the world’s first and largest, and the longest rail system.
The trains lasted nearly 200 years before they were finally decommissioned in 2012.
The series began as a series of short train services to and from Adelaide, followed by the first passenger-carrying trains.
The line was expanded into a passenger-transport corridor and later expanded into the South West.
In 1924, a series was launched to the Melbourne CBD, running to the end of the line to the north of the City of Melbourne.
In the 1960s, the line became a passenger rail line, with the first line to run from the Melbourne Airport to the North of the CBD being completed in 1968.
The first passenger train, built by South Australian railway company Tippecanoe and operated by Transcontinental, left Melbourne at the start of the First World War, travelling along the Adelaide Harbour Bridge from Victoria Station to the City.
It ran from Melbourne to Melbourne Station on the South Bank, then from the city to the suburbs of Port Hedland and Mount Gambier, and to Port Macquarie in the South East.
The next train, a third-generation model, was constructed by Melbourne and Melbourne Ports, then was delivered to South Australia, and ran to the Northern Territory.
It ran to Darwin, Darwin to Darwin Airport and then back to Darwin on a new route.
The final train was built by Western Australian railway companies, the Southern Cross and Western Cross, and delivered to Perth, and then to Adelaide.