A section of the London Underground was restored to working order in a bid to attract more tourists and keep it relevant to the area, London Mayor Sadiq Khan announced Monday.
The reconstruction project, the largest of its kind in the world, was led by the Transport for London (TfL) and will involve removing and replacing parts of the station and the underground walkways around it.
The project will include the restoration of the train platform, which is the busiest in the station system, as well as the new walkways that run alongside it.
TfE says the work will also include the removal of the iconic ‘blue box’ in front of the platform.
Tilted glass is still visible on the blue box and the TfL says the red “Boris” badge will remain.
It is part of a new, more welcoming design that has been adopted by other Tube stations.
“Till now, the Tube has been the jewel of London, the jewel in the crown of this great city.
It has inspired generations of visitors and its distinctive design and its historic significance have been recognised by governments around the world,” said Khan.”
Now, the station will be remembered for the way it has been used over the past 50 years, and the many people who have come to visit it, and for the many businesses that have been created in the area over the years.”
TfT and London Underground have been working on the project for nearly two years and will have a full restoration completed by the end of the year.
The restoration project was started in the mid-2000s after a number of Tube stations had been destroyed in the Blitz.
The TfT says it will restore the station to its “pre-1939” appearance and that the reconstruction will not affect services or services to the stations.